Health and safety totorial/introduction to filming
We had a health and safety tutorial on how to use the recording equipment in the correct way. This is because it is vital you use the equipment in the right way or you will not get the best result, or the equipment could break. We were taught how to use a JVC camera, this included how to switch the power on and off, how to focus the camera(automatic or manual), and how to insert the memory card the right way The memory card holds all the previous filming we have done. I learnt that having the JVC camera on automatic mode is less effective and gives a less clear picture. I also learned how to safely use the tripod to hold the camera in an effective and suitable position. The tripod can be put up and folded down again, I learnt to do this without damaging it. Other than learning how to safely use the equipment, we were introduced to some important camerea shot techniques. From watching a clip of the famous chick flick 'Mean Girls'. I saw that there is never a large amount of space left above someones head when they are the main focus of the shot. I kept this in mind when recording my remake of Collateral. I was also introduced to the 'Rule of three'. This is the idea that when an over the shoulder shot is taking place, two thirds are focused on the main character who is stood in front of the shoulder, whilst the person facing away fron the camera(the shoulder), takes up just one third. This allows the audience to focus on what the person facing away from us can see, which is the aim of an older the shoulder shot. I also used this technique in my Collateral remake.This is what a JVC camera looks like, we use this type of camera for filming.
This is what the tripod we use to hold our camera looks like. To fold the tripod down you open the black parts along the bottom of the tripod, this will cause it to unlock and not be held up anymore, so it will decrease in size.
![]() |
| This is an example of an 'Over the shoulder shot'. The rule of three has been applied here. |
![]() |
| This picture shows that there is no space above the characters heads. |




No comments:
Post a Comment