Saturday, 19 January 2013

Research: previous student thriller opening- analysis

Previous student thriller opening- analysis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrmwjq0gdGg

I have watched one video which was made by previous students. I watched this clip because it is a film opening to a thriller, which is what I am going to be making.
The first thing I noticed about this clip was that they have used the idea of the 'Classic opening', which means they have established the location with an establishing shot, then showed a building, then zoomed into the window of the building, and then a close up of what is in the building.
 I noticed that the clip has used several match cuts, such as when the main character looks towards something, and the camera then focuses on the phone she was looking at. This technique is generally effective as the audience can focus on particular objects or people. This match cut revealed to the audience what the characters main focus was, and also introduced a new character (holding the phone).
Character showed looking at something.

Following camera shot revealing this was what the character was looking at.


 There was a diagetic sound of a phone ringing playing throughout the clip, and the match cut at the end revealed it was a phone held by another person.This  made the clip more interesting as a new character was introduced, but there was not much clues as to who they were, and why there phone was ringing for so long.
The sound of the phone ringing was slow motion, this made it seem as if the time was going slow, and created an unusual, mysterious and creepy atmosphere.
The mise en scene was significant, it was a bedroom, which seemed quite plain and had make up lying around it. The fact the bedroom seemed normal, contrasted with the slow motion movement and sound, this suggests the protagonist is mysterious and perhaps keeping a secret.
I liked the close up of the protagonists shoes, and the way the camera was tracking as she walked towards the door. This made the fact she was leaving stand out to the audience. Another reason I liked this part is because a foley sound of footsteps was inserted as she walked across the room.
Close up of characters shoes.

Camera tracking shoes as character walks away. This is where
 the foley sound was played, to create the sound of footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment