Saturday, 12 January 2013

Research: title sequences

Conventions of title sequences research

Today we researched title sequences and the order in which they are shown in on the opening of a film. I looked at the films 'The room mate', 'The step father' and 'The taking of Pelham 123'. I compared the three different title sequences. I realised it is common to use capital letters for the titles, and a white font. The film, title also usually appears before the actors names, in between the start and middle of the opening. The institutional information such as production company and distribution both appear twice in the opening. I also noticed that in most title sequences, the font size for the credits was slightly smaller than the actors names. In the film 'The Room mate', the text was shown on top of dark backgrounds and the font colour was white, this made it easier to read. However, in 'The taking of Pelham 123' the text was placed more randomly, and not always on dark background, this made it harder to read and take in.

Title sequence predictions

This was our first prediction of the order of title sequences, we made this prediction before viewing a film opening.
This was our second prediction, we changed the order that we thought the titles are usually shown in, after viewing the film opening of 'The room mate'.
After viewing several different film openings, we concluded that this is the correct and most common order for titles to be shown in.

No comments:

Post a Comment